Idea 2 – An uncomfortable audience/exhausting the body

Perception of the body is unique to each individual.  The stereotypical view on a muscular physique is manly credited for its aesthetic qualities.  I can display the body as an object by performing a 12 minute Full Monty.  Within the performance I will incorporate numerous body weight exercises transforming the performance it self into an endurance exercise and putting the body under enormous stress. Subsequently, this performance will allow the audience to create their own opinion of how to perceive my body as I put it completely on display, possibly creating an uncomfortable feeling in the crowd or an excited, euphoric reaction. 

Maria Obramavic is a potential influence for this idea due to her style of creating tension within her audience.  She manipulates the body as a tool to push the boundaries of social acceptance, testing whether the audience will react one way, or the opposite. 

To show the body and allow for the stress on it to be more visible, I will diet enough to be able to portray each individual muscle to the audience.  In doing so, each muscle will produce a ‘pump’ under the constant stress and become more vascular, thus aiding the indication that the body is under intense pressure.

To add to the idea of perception and how the public don’t look beyond the physical appearence, I could play muted clips of ‘Come Dine With Me’ in the background, while displaying the death threats and shallow abuse that was sent to me via social media.

Possible body weight exercises

Clap Press Ups

Pull ups

Sprint on the spot

Window Wipers

hanging crunches

Music:

I would require a song that was intense and could bring a sense of dis-comfort to the audience.

Current Ideas:

Marainne’s Wish – Rock n’ Roll Jesus

or

Nickleback – Something in your mouth (more likely)

Works Cited:

nicklebackrocks87, 2009, Nickelback Something In Your Mouth, Available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TvAqv43p4

infinity12records, 2012, Marianne’s Wish – Rock ‘n’ Roll Jesus, Available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpNtv2Y02WM